Re: Help!!

To: "Randy Christman" <rcchristman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Help!!
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:43:41 -0700
Hi Randy,

If you're having downhill problems with gas, then the gas tank is a
possible culprit. The inlet that feeds the fuel line is towards the front,
sits just above the bottom of the tank. If you have gunk and debris in the
tank, then when you go downhill, gravity can cause the gunk to clog the
inlet. Go uphill, and gravity clears the inlet by dragging the debris
towards the rear of the tank.

Do this outside only! Open your trunk. On the trunk floor is an access
plate. Remove the four screws and the plate. Look through the hole to spot
the tank and you'll see a guage assembly with a couple wires on it; unclip
them. Use a hammer and screwdriver to tap the locking ring off the guage
assembly, and carefully extract the guage and attached float. Now you can
use a flashlight to peer inside. NOTE: you're looking into a tank of
explosive fuel so don't use an electric light or matches!

If you have crap in there, pump out what you can. Then unscrew the bottom
drain plug and drain the dirty gas into a gas can. If the tank is real
screwed up, then you can remove it and have a radiator shop clean and seal
it (cost me $100 to do that).

The only other thing I can think of, is to re-seat your needles and jets in
your carbs. But they would have to really be out of whack to cause problems
going downhill.

Good luck, Fred - So.SF
BADROC