Re: Smog system removal on '69 2000

To: "'Datsun Roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smog system removal on '69 2000
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:33:24 -0700
As you suspected, there's more to it than that. Here's the catch.

The smogged cars were timed at 0 degrees advance to help with emissions and
they had about 35 degrees of centrifugal advance built into the distributor.
This made them overheat at idle. To counteract that, a
thermostatically-controlled device was added that would apply vacuum advance
when it got too hot. That device is the big black plastic knob with the hose
fittings on top of the thermostat housing. A lot of people ripped that off with
the smog control but left everything else the same. Then the car would
overheat, warp the head, and blow head gaskets, and then people would bitch
about how 2000's were always blowing head gaskets.

If you pull off the smog control, take it all off, get the new centrifugal
advance cam and springs for the distributor and time it at about 16 BTDC. And
if you still have the 7-bladed fan with the thermostatic switch on there, get
rid of that while you're at it.

--
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA