Re: New Z

To: "datsun-roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Z
From: shifty <shifty@well.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:42:14 -0800
>In a message dated 2/14/99 10:57:51 PM Central Standard Time,
>ianmiller9@hotmail.com writes:

>What motor or variation of motor would other people on the list like to
>see in the Z, a Monster V8, a turbo V6, a naturally aspirated V6, or a 4
>banger, ect...?

I'd really like to see the new Z have a straight-6.

When living in LA, I met a guy who had built a truly amazing Z-motor. I
think it was a 280 block with a turbo head, lots of balancing and tweaks,
triple Webers. I drove the '72 240Z that the thing was in and it pulled
like a freight train.

What would it take for Nissan to go back to the L28(?) block? Put on a
fuel-injected head and modern tweakable computer to pass emissions?
Didn't the Maxima have a fuel-injected L28?

Gas mileage doesn't seem to be an issue these days - the Lincoln
Navigator gets 9MPG! My '96 Honda Civic got only 2/3 the gas milage my
'86 did. Why not go back to classic powerplants to complement "retro"
body styles? (Heck, if you have to retool to make some "new" roadster or
Z compatible parts, all the better.)

Any new Z should also represent all of it's Fairlady heritage and come in
roadster and GT versions - maybe make the body interchangeable like the
Pulsar's hatchback and station wagon options.

Nissan made some great cars that people love to this day, they should
captialize on this an build a car so cool (and affordable) that all of us
would beat a path to the dealer's door. Jellybean-styled luxo-lumps just
don't get my blood racing. Dump Infiniti and bring back the sports car
marque - DATSUN!

Maybe a Daimler-Chrysler buyout would be best in the long-run.

Leigh Brooks
San Francisco