Re: Death Rattle and oil pressure

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Death Rattle and oil pressure
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 14:05:24 -0800
At 06:54 PM 1/2/99 -0800, Kyle Hagemann wrote:
>Hey all;
>       What's the death rattle of a U20 sound like, and when does it occur?
>  If
>my oil pressure gauge drops to almost zero at idle, is it cause for concern?

The stock gauges were never known for their accuracy, but I always like to
see more pressure than zero.

>My '69 makes a clattery knocky noise *occasionally* on hot start-up.  It
>will go away nearly instantly.  If I had to guess, I'd say it sounded like
>the death rattle - clatter clatter clank clank until the tensioner gets its
>pressure.  Does that sound right?  What should I do about it?  BTW, I hear
>nothing scary when I shut 'er down....

That sounds like it, alright. You won't hear anything on shutdown because
the engine still has oil pressure. The upper timing chain tensioner is just
about the farthest away from the oil pump of any engine part, hence it's
the last to get pressure on startup. The fact that the sound goes away
instantly seems to indicate that your oil pressure is good and the chain
isn't too worn.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org