Death Rattle and oil pressure

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Death Rattle and oil pressure
From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 18:54:31 -0800
Hey all;
        What's the death rattle of a U20 sound like, and when does it occur?
  If
my oil pressure gauge drops to almost zero at idle, is it cause for concern?

My '69 makes a clattery knocky noise *occasionally* on hot start-up.  It
will go away nearly instantly.  If I had to guess, I'd say it sounded like
the death rattle - clatter clatter clank clank until the tensioner gets its
pressure.  Does that sound right?  What should I do about it?  BTW, I hear
nothing scary when I shut 'er down....

I mention the oil pressure thing, not so much because it worries me (my
L-series experience has been that they usually run low at idle, no biggie),
but because it might be related.

The odometer reads 80K.  Maybe it's been around once or twice, who knows.
I got the car from Mike Young, who said that the engine looked better than
most inside, indicating that it may have been overhauled at some point in
its history.

TIA,

     ____     Kyle Hagemann, Datsun Enthusiast and General Wiseguy
 _.;(____\____     1972 240Z   L28/5sp  For cool Z-car tech, go to