Re: Stuck Valve

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck Valve
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 13:37:42 -0800
At 12:51 PM 1/2/99 +0000, b dias wrote:

>I just retorqued the head on my 2000, after allowing the engine to cool
>overnight. Upon initial startup the engine ran just fine.
>
>After shutting it off and restarting I found that it was running on 3
>cylinders. Inspection revaled that the rear cylinder's intake valve was
>stuck, requiring about 1/8 inch to reach a totally closed position.

I'm not clear what you mean by this. Was there that much gap between the
rocker and the valve when the rocker was on the base cicle of the cam? If
so, that could indicate that the valve seat has come loose from the head.

At this point, I'd say it is very important that you NOT try to turn the
engine over with the starter, or you may cause considerable damage (if it
hasn't already happened). If the seat has dropped, it is preventing the
valve from seating completely, raising the possibility of piston-to-valve
contact.

>Is there any clever way of freeing it without removing the head?, assuming
>that it isn't bent or the guide is screwed up somehow.

If you pry down on the retainer with an appropriate tool (spring
compressor, etc.) does the valve move, or is it jammed?

>I'm trying to figure out how this could be related to retorquing, the
>clearance on the remaining valves is within spec's.

I don't see how it could be.
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org