Re: Re[4]: DeTomaso, Miata, Kia Faux-lan

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Re[4]: DeTomaso, Miata, Kia Faux-lan
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:49:30 -0600
----------
> From: Chris Kantarjiev

> No, "Little Joe" is commonly used out here in San Francisco Region
> to refer to Joe Huffaker, Jr (the fellow you're talking about) to
> distinguish from his father, Joe Huffaker Sr, who built all those
> Huffaker Special FJrs in the 50s and 60s and established the name.
>
> I'm almost positive that there was quite a stink about Joe's Mini
> at the Runoffs and that he ultimately was not allowed to run it,
> used someone else's car for the GT5 race and broke.

The same "SportsCar"  article details that Joe Huffaker Jr ran afowl
of the rules at the runoffs with his Mini.  The rule:
GTCS-F.4 (e) 14.c: "In-line four (4) cylinder engines shall align the
center of the first spark plug hole (from the front) in line with the
front axle spindles."
He was aware of the rule and prepared to defend his car against it
but was disallowed.  He's moved the engine now for compliance . .
nothing to do with the RWD apparently, there were two other RWD Minis
there but one (Kraus) withdrew with development problems and the
other had motor problems during the race but finished 5th after
qualifying 3rd, the fastest qualifier and highest placed Mini of the
8 or ten entered, and the "Stack Drive of the Race" winner!
Tony

Tony