Re: Lotus / DeTomaso similarities

To: "Lotus List" <lotus-cars@lists.best.com>
Subject: Re: Lotus / DeTomaso similarities
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 98 10:27:59 PST8
Erik wrote:

>Rod Bean wrote:
>>DeTomaso Mangusta = predecessor to the DeTomaso Pantera.  The Mangusta
>>shares something with the Lotus 30/40, a backbone chassis which wasn't
>>rigid enough and made the cars vile handling.

>It shares something else as well, a Windsor family Ford small block >V8;
probably almost the same one, except that in the 30 it was bored >out to 5
litres (right?) and equipped with those elegant downdraft >Webers.

351 Cleveland for the Pantera, 289 for the Lotus 30/40.

>I believe the US market Mangustas came with a Boss 302, which is another
>proposition altogether.  Boss 302 engines are a rarity, and are highly
>sought after by Ford-heads today.

All true.

>While on the subject of Lotus / DeTomaso similarities, how about the
>DeTomaso Vallelunga?  I kid you not...  This was a very elegant >1600lb.
mid engine coupe using a backbone chassis, Ghia glassfibre >bodywork, Ford
Kent power (presumably 116E sideflow, but not verified) >and a Hewland Mark
series transaxle.  All of this in 1965, well before >the Europa first
appeared.  Unfortunately, only about 50 of these >interesting little road
cars were ever produced.  Imagine a Vallelunga >with a healthy twink
installed.

Always wanted a Vallelunga.  They appeared even more rustic than the Europa
and a Hewland on the street a few of us would like just fine but modern
tastes are very different ("Where are the cup holders"?).

>Dunno about headroom in a Vallelunga, tho....  ;-)

That too.... for you anyway.  ;-)

>Anyone here ever driven one?

Waiting in line.  :-)

Rod