Lotus / DeTomaso similarities

To: lotus-cars@lists1.best.com
Subject: Lotus / DeTomaso similarities
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 00:10:36 -0800
Rod Bean wrote:
>DeTomaso Mangusta = predecessor to the DeTomaso Pantera.  The Mangusta
>shares something with the Lotus 30/40, a backbone chassis which wasn't
>rigid enough and made the cars vile handling.

It shares something else as well, a Windsor family Ford small block V8;
probably almost the same one, except that in the 30 it was bored out to
5 litres (right?) and equipped with those elegant downdraft Webers.

I believe the US market Mangustas came with a Boss 302, which is another
proposition altogether.  Boss 302 engines are a rarity, and are highly
sought after by Ford-heads today.

>I drove a "Mongoose" once on the street... no
>problem at normal speeds.  Beeeoootiful bodywork.

Yeah, I agree.  Drop dead gorgeous!  I've always kinda thought of the
Mangusta as a poor man's Miura.

While on the subject of Lotus / DeTomaso similarities, how about the
DeTomaso Vallelunga?  I kid you not...  This was a very elegant 1600lb.
mid engine coupe using a backbone chassis, Ghia glassfibre bodywork,
Ford Kent power (presumably 116E sideflow, but not verified) and a
Hewland Mark series transaxle.  All of this in 1965, well before the
Europa first appeared.  Unfortunately, only about 50 of these
interesting little road cars were ever produced.  Imagine a Vallelunga
with a healthy twink installed.

Dunno about headroom in a Vallelunga, tho....  ;-)

Anyone here ever driven one?

Regards,
Erik Berg