W series gearboxes

To: "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>,
Subject: W series gearboxes
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 97 21:13:49 PDT
Just another query:

The other day Ii notioned that Toyota gearboxes are designated after the
original engine they were designed to go on - hence T-50 was designed to go
on the 2/3T engines and later added to 4A, 1S etc. And the K-50 went on the
5K, but later the 3A......

Someone (Matti?) caught me out by asking what the W-series engine was.....

Ok - I got talking to a guy the other night who worked on gearboxes for a
living (altho I qualify this by saying it didn't look like he made much of
a living....) who said that 'the Supra box and a truck box (Dyna?) were the
same box - right down to ratios' ............

This leads me to think of 3 things....

1. It is conceivable that there is a W series diesel truck engine? (not
that it is really important).

2. Is it possible that the Supra and a 1.5 ton diesel truck have the
identical box and ratios (both would need to handle a lot of torque and
ideally be 'close' ratio to suit spirited driving/narrow power band?) even
with radically different engine rev ranges and diff ratios/tyre heights?

3. If this is true, then truck gearboxes are most likely heaps cheaper
(altho maybe more worn).......

Just some more random thoughts!

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

$100 wonder - 1981 TA 45 Celica - Lowered etc etc
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica - 64,000 miles...
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project
1983 AE 86 Trueno GT-V 16 Valve beastie - $650 wonder - project in need of
direction.......

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H