Re: now automatics... RE: R&P ratios TR4

To: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>, DEVierling@aol.com
Subject: Re: now automatics... RE: R&P ratios TR4
From: barneymg@ntsource.com
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:27:10 -0600
At 10:04 PM 11/20/01 -0700, John McEwen wrote:
>.... Modern (and I include most automatics since 1961) are dead reliable
>and usually only need service as a result of abuse. ....

I'm sorry, I don't usully do this, but I can't stop myself.  Some people
just live in fantasy land.

>I always remember what the owners manual of my '65 Valiant said about the
>transmission.  "The Torqueflite transmission requires no servicing
>throughout the life of the vehicle".  This was in the era of the first 5
>year - 50,000 mile warranties.

Yeah, that's more like it.  At about 51,000 miles you get hit with the
headaches, unless it was replaced under warrantee a little earlier.  Some
newer automatics (much newer) are better, but not that one.

$.02 worth of Nomex,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude  (and $99 gearbox rebuild every 100K miles)
     http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg