Re: now automatics... RE: R&P ratios TR4

To: DEVierling@aol.com
Subject: Re: now automatics... RE: R&P ratios TR4
From: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:04:11 -0700
Hi Donny:

Having owned both the 750 and the 400F I can appreciate good gearchanging.
However, I'm pleased to see that you agree with me about the traffic
situation.

Why change a clutch if you don't have to.  Modern (and I include most
automatics since 1961) are dead reliable and usually only need service as a
result of abuse.  Check the price for rebuilding a modern automatic against
the price for repairing a modern 5 or 6 speed transmission.  Guess what?
The standard tranny is considerably more expensive to repair (if it can be
repaired out of the factory).  Today most of the American pickups running
Getrag and ZF are not rebuilt but are replaced at costs in excess of $4k.
Replacing a clutch has never been a fun job - especially on the average
LBC, like your MG, which require the removal of the engine.

I always remember what the owners manual of my '65 Valiant said about the
transmission.  "The Torqueflite transmission requires no servicing
throughout the life of the vehicle".  This was in the era of the first 5
year - 50,000 mile warranties.

I'll stand by my statement regarding the costs of operation.

John