In search of British truck

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: In search of British truck
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:04:29 -0800 (PST)
Jack,

Good question.  There were only four British commercial vehicles
commercially imported to the US; the Morris Minor, the larger Austin A40,
the Ford Thames (Anglia based) and a few Commer (Hillman Minx based). All
but the Commer were available as a van and pickup. The Commer was available
as a sedan delivery and a flat fronted forward control van/bus (kind of
like a cross between a VW and a Ford Econoline. Come to think of it the
Thames came as a van/bus as well.

All are pretty small and all are very rare, even in the UK. There was a
fellow in California who, back in the early 1980s who built a 10 wheel semi
tractor/trailer combo using a Morris minor pickup. removed the bed,
extended the frame and added another axel then constructed a 17 foot long
flatbed trailer.  It was beautifully done, stainless side stack and all,
and looked like a 1940s American truck way farther away!  He used it as a
car hauler for his Morris Minor repair business for over a decade and
100,000 miles.  The truck still exists but I doubt that the owner will sell
it. He'd rather let it rot away cause he's just that kinda guy!  Pity.

My suggestion would be to either buy a Austin or Morris van for advertizing
and haul American or you will have to think about droping a more available
Morris pickup cab body on an extended Toyota pickup chassis.  I've seen
this done - better you should use a cab section from a rotten Morris woody
(6" longer than the pickup for more legroom) and bolt on the cab back from
a Morris pickup. You also could consider using a Austin FX4 taxi as a base
for a truck conversion.  Good luck on your quest.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA