Re: TR7 #BFH11

To: bwesterdale@edax.com
Subject: Re: TR7 #BFH11
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:51:24 -0700 (PDT)
I recently freed a dozen studs from a set of rusty exhaust manifolds.
My method was to apply heat (in this case a propane torch) and tap on
the stud lightly with a hammer.  Next I would try to unscrew the stud.
If it wouldn't turn, I repeated the process.  For good measure I sprayed
on a little Mouse Milk (a penetrating oil sold by Aircraft Spruce), but
I'm not a big believer in penetrating oils in general.

Eventually I got all of the studs out without breaking any of them off.
The down side was that most of the thread material in the stud holes
came out with the studs, mostly in the form of rust.

If I recall, the heads in question are aluminum.  Steel and aluminum can
really "weld" themselves to each other, so be careful.  Also Aluminum is
a very good conductor of heat, so you may have trouble concentrating
enough heat in the area to do much good.

Roland