Re: Shoddy parts, slippery suppliers, mute consumers

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Shoddy parts, slippery suppliers, mute consumers
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:01:24 -0400
Colin,
I don't know where to begin.

This is like the discussion about where to buy building products in which one
person says they like Lowe's better than Home Depot. VB? Moss? What's the
difference?

I would buy from, or have bought from:
Seven Enterprises,
Mini Mania,
Mini City,
TS Imported Parts,
European Midtown,
Just Brits,
Peter Caldwell,
Motorhead,
Sprite-Midget Centre,
Britpart,
Joe Curto,
Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.,
Healey Surgeons,
Martin J. MacGregor Coachtrimming LTD.,
Abingdon Spares,
Nisonger,
Winners Circle,
Faspec,
Austin-Healey Spares Ltd.,
University Motors,

I have good experience with all of these suppliers and consider each superior to
Moss.

I agree that Moss is good at returns, credits, and refunds. I just don't like to
have to analyze a part I am going to order to try to figure out what 10
questions I need to ask to make a determination if its real, repro, good repro,
bad repro or just plain junk.

I think I also have the same problem as many other enthusiasts:
1) I might order parts to stockpile for for the big cahuna restoration project
which might not actually go into reassembly for another year at which time I am
beyond the return period, or

2) I need the part NOW and the if it is an unacceptable/poor quality repro, the
fact they are great with returns doesn't mean much if my car is down in the
meantime.

My biggest gripe with these large suppliers is that they create the illusion
that they offer EVERYTHING for the cars that they specialize in and don't have
any disclaimers regarding the origins or quality of certain items.

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1961 Innocenti 950