spridget springs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: spridget springs
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 16:05:22 EST
W. Ray Gibbons writes:
>you can put your jack under the pan, unbolt the pan, and hope it all
>holds.  It did for you.  But if something lets loose, and the spring hits
>you in the head, it can ruin your whole day.  If it bounces out and hits
>the side of your emergency back up sports car, the E-type, it also is a
>bummer.

        Note: the way I remove Spridget springs is to put the (floor) jack
under the outer A-arm, jack it up until the upper arm moves off the stop,
unbolt the upper end of the kingpin, then lower the A-arm.  The spring
is under no tension long before it can come out in my experience.  Caution
may still be advisable, but I've done this on at least 3 spridgets.  Don't
forget to unbolt and wire-out-of-the-way the caliper if it's still hooked up.

        With heavier cars and springs I'd be less willing to do this, though
I did on on my TR6 (with considerably more paranoia).
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com