Re: V8 Conversions

To: mfrankfo@UAV-SPARC-10.sed.redstone.army.mil (Martin Frankford)
Subject: Re: V8 Conversions
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 15:09:52 -0500
Martin Frankford writes:

> Also, acording to the MGB Leyland factory manuals, the V8 weighs LESS than
> the cast iron 1.8 l 4 banger. So a V8 car would be lighter than the stock
> ones.

> If you put in a V8 you best put on the V8 disks and calipers to stop the
> thing.

Taken together, these two comments really surprise me.  If the V8 weighs
*LESS* than the 4-cylinder, than it would seem to me that no brake upgrade
would be required, unless you are planning on racing it, where the V8
(presumably) would give higher speeds.

Unless, of course, the V8 disks and calipers are a "downgraded" brake set,
since the V8 weighs less than the 4-cylinder, and stronger brakes aren't
required...  :-) :-)

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders, PTP2-A001 | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
65 River Road               | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631