Still no start

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Still no start
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 10:01 EST
To Tom Story:
re : 1500 Triumph engine

1 - Take a REAL good look at the drive pinion for your distributor (this is
that weird
    looking gear that fits under the dizzy and connects to the camshaft).
2 - Take a REAL good look at the picture of the drive pinion for the distributor
    in the Haynes(?) Manual. If you look closely, you will notice that the slot
in
    to which the end of the dizzy fits, is slightly off-center.
3 - Re-install the drive pinion into the engine IN EXACTLY THE SAME POSTION THAT
    HAYNES MANUAL SHOWS. This is a bit tricky, because the gaers are helical, so
    as you insert the drive pinion, it will tend to rotate. After a couple of
tries
    you will get the hang of it and align the pinion with the oil pump drive.
4   Get the engine at TDC on the firing storke for No 1 cylinder (double check
and
    check again)
5   Insert the dizzy and make sure the off-centre slot in the drive pinion and
the
    end of the dizzy mesh correctly.

The engine should fire - any fine tuning can be done with the engine running.

I went through the same frustration exersise a few years ago - a friend came by,
showed me the off-centre drive pinion and the corresponding off-centre dizzy
slot.

We lined everything up and the engine fired up with no problems.

gerry