re: DIY Fuel injection

To: Kirby Palm <palmk@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>
Subject: re: DIY Fuel injection
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:30:04 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Kirby Palm wrote:

> However, the effect of an engine malfunction on such a system could be
> disastrous.  A bad spark plug, while wreaking havoc with a normal EFI
> system, could remap this whole control system until the car won't run.
>
> --
>                               ---  Kirbert

An excellent point Kirby.  It would be necessary to incorporate some type
of malfunction detection.  I think that perhaps if each cylinder had an
oxygen sensor downline, and the injection system completely replaced the
factory ignition system, it would be possible to sense such malfunctions.
        So Here's what I'm imagining the system would have to include:
1)  Intake and exhaust manifolds
2)  ECU (fuel injection/ignition microcomputer)
3)  Fuel pump and injectors
4)  Various sensors you attatch to the engine/manifolds.
5)  Wiring Harness
6)  Ignition Amp/Coils

Initial cost estimates put the system price between $2000-4000 U.S.  This
may be why none exists yet.  Most of the cost is involved in making the
manifolds, while the other stuff is relatively cheap.
        Comments?

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6