Re: Obscure cars/RRs and Bentleys

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Obscure cars/RRs and Bentleys
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 09:58:45 GMT

weverka@drip.colorado.edu (Robert T. Weverka) asks:

   >What year did RR begin to produce the unit body?  Which years should I
   >avoid in order to keep away from the rust problem?

There are much more knowledgeable RR/Bentley enthusiasts than myself on the
net, but I believe the first RR monocoque body was the Silver Shadow/
Bentley T1, made by Pressed Steel Fisher in Cowley, which will have been
introduced in about 1966. The previous models - the Silver Cloud Series I,
II and III, and their Bentley equivalents all had chassis.

The Shadows/TI/TII also had very complicated hydraulic suspension and other
systems, I think, which may have been neglected recently as the cars are so
comparatively cheap now (at least over here).

I have just been offered a _beautiful_ low-mileage 1975 Shadow II in BRG
with perfect black leather interior for Pounds 7000, and by my neighbour,
too, who knows all about the car! If it were the Bentley, I would get it
(Rolls is a bit flash for my taste!).

The last RR/Bentley for the home mechanic, I believe, might be considered to
be the Cloud Series I/II with the 6-cylinder engine. Later Series IIs and
onwards all had V8s.

Good luck,

Paul.