Re: wrinkle finish paint

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wrinkle finish paint
From: SDTilton@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 12:40:57 -0500
I have just recently had a nasty experience with wrinkle paint.  I've got a
fiberglass hardtop for my TR-4 and it looked crappy in primer grey.  I
doubted my abilities to give it a decent paint job (rightly so) and decided
on a whim to try the plastickote wrinkle paint that I used on the dash
support.  It worked well on small parts, why not a big one?

I'll tell you why not.  The stuff is black glue.  It sticks to everything,
and everything (a few insects included) will stick to it.  The spray cans
clog up about ten times as often as regular paint cans do.  Add to this the
limited time allowance between the three heavy coats that must be applied
(make sure you do it in warm weather too) and you can quickly have a comedy
of errors.

My suggestions: Buy extra cans of paint.   Get a friend to help.  The friend
can be standing by with a well shaken can if yours stops.  If it is a big
piece, get several friends to help so that the coats can be applied in the
required time.  Paint in a very warm and non humid environment to ensure
proper and even wrinkling.  On the same token, take precautions not to drip
sweat on to your piece because it is such a warm environment.

Hope you don't make the same mess I did.

Scott