Re: Found a TR-4 for sale

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Found a TR-4 for sale
From: TestNav@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 18:55:45 -0500
$2500 beans is the most I would go, depending....

FOR: It runs, Overdrive, & the Surrey top.
AGAINST:  Possible chassis rust, body tub rust.

     You really need to determine the extent of the rust.  Check the chassis
thoroughly.  The body tub rust sucks, but if you can determine the chassis is
solid....pursue.  If the chassis is not structurally sound (but repairable),
offer the guy $500.00 to take it off his hands and repair it.  If the chassis
is gone, its a parts car.
     If you do purchase this car, and you don't want the surrey top, I do!
     I started almost a year and a half ago on a ground up restoration of a
'67 TR-4A that I found languishing under a tree, next to a river, that was
sitting for 9 years.  You could see the high water mark on the car. The car
had overdrive, wires and a very sound chassis with slight rust around the
battery box.  No carbs, radiator were present and the engine had two head
bolts broken off in the block with a inch of sand on top of the pistons!  If
it wasn't made of metal, it didn't exist.
     Am I stupid? Sick? I paid a 1000.00 and started the restoration.    I
have completed the restoration, except for rework that I'm presently doing on
the overdrive.
     The key is to know what you start with and always assume the worst.
 That way, you're not disappointed.  Good Luck!