Crosley gets its wings?

To: British-Cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Crosley gets its wings?
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harold)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 20:50:19 -0500
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 13:15:05 -0500
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Crosleys

Some one told me once that every B-29 (that was a WWII bomber for you younger
SOL'ers) had a Crosley engine in the wing to power the Aux system in case one
of main engines went out.  Maybe there were two per plane, anyway, after the

-------  some text deleted  -------

Terry
Berry Kercheval
W. Ray Gibbons

Crosley, like other car manufacturers, built various items for military use
during World War II.  Things that come to mind are gun turrets,
anti-aircraft shell fuses, trailers and field radios.  Also, Crosley built
a Waukesha-powered sled for use in Alaska.

In addition to several other items that found their way into military use,
Crosley experimented with a mini-jeep called the "Pup."  It had canvas
fenders and was designed to be air dropped.  Some 36 were made but no
government contract ever materialized.

During the war the Navy was testing a sheet metal engine.  It was meant for
use in PT boats as a generator unit.  I think a guy by the name of Lloyd
Taylor designed it.  In any event, Crosley saw it, liked it and bought the
patent(s) and began manufacturing the engine for the war effort.  Crosley's
engineer, Paul Klotsch, made many design changes to what eventually became
the COBRA four cylinder single overhead cam 26 hp unit.  This same engine
went on to power Crosley cars after the war.

In military use the COBRA engine seemed to perform well probably because it
was operated for relatively short periods of time.  But after the war when
it began life as an automobile engine in the Crosley, it soon began to give
trouble developing pin-hole leaks and weld fractures.

I don't remember this engine as having been used in any aircraft
application but...  Stories during the war frequently grew way out of
proportion, hence the possibility of such a reference to Crosley engines in
the wings of B-29s.  (If the war effort was involved, you could pick a
bushel of tomatoes in the morning and it would become a freight car load by
night fall!)

Hope somebody on the list has more information on the Crosley in military use.

Dick