Re: MGB shocks, Spit engine mods

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB shocks, Spit engine mods
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 20:38:47 -0500
1) Not owning any MG's (Triumphs need enough work, I don't want to think
about a car actually named after a garage) but reading the current thread on
tube shocks, I thought the following might interest the group.  I don't know
if MG shocks are the same as Sprite's, I assume they are similar.

My dad used to gymkhana (autocross) Sprites in the 60's.  He had a Bugeye
and then traded up to a MKII 1/2.  He used to drain the stock oil out of the
lever shocks and replace it with straight STP oil additive.  The stuff was as
thick as molasses and really tightened up the handling.  Who says you have
to spend big bucks on Koni's to get adjustable shocks? ;)

(And now you know where I get my love of LBC's.)

2) Spitfire engine mods - I have'nt gotten my Spit together, but do have a
copy
of the Comp. Prep. Manual.  I would think that if you implement only the not-
too-radical mods, you should get a noticeable improvement in power while
keeping the engine relatively streetable.  I'd start by getting the engine to
breathe easier.  Porting the head passages to improve airflow, reprofiling
the
combustion chamber as shown, etc.  Mind, this is only my opinion, I'm sure
that there will be several people with other (if not opposing) views -- and
experience to boot.

Speaking of engine work, does anyone know of good machine shops in the
CT area?  I need to get 2 GT6 engines & a 1300 Spit engine done eventually.
Any suggestions on reliability mods? One GT6 crank is badly scored on the
No.1 main journal, even though the engine was said to have been rebuilt only
5,000 miles before I bought it and tore it down.  Someone once mentioned to
me a generic problem with oil starvation on GT6's.  Anyone concur/differ?

And yes, a complete GT6+ drivetrain will be going into one of my Spitfire
bodies, rubber biscuit rear suspension + all.  Now if I can figure out how to
use
a vent-widowed GT6 door with a Spitfire convertible top---

Still trying to build the perfect Spitfire6,
Dave Williamson  (silikal@aol.com)
'68 Spitfire, '70 Spitfire body, '71 GT6+ and '73 GT6 drivetrains, '89 Escort
GT

P.S. My dad sold the Sprite MKII 1/2 to get a Lotus Elan S1, which he raced
until my sister and I couldn't ride to races in the parcel shelf anymore.
 The
Sprite was still being campaigned in GA, last he heard (3-4 yrs ago).