Re: land rover smog check

To: Pschauss@aol.com
Subject: Re: land rover smog check
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 15:46:49 PST
> KMNTR6@aol.com writes:
>
> >>  My new rover is failing california smog inspections.
> >> (BTW, I'm failing because of >500 ppm of hydrocarbons
> in the exhaust at idle speed.)

Last week I got to take two cars in for smog checks; lucky me.

As expected the Japanese econobox passed on the first try with flying
colors.

As expected the Chevy Astro van failed.  I've owned it since new and it
never has passed without extensive tinkering.  Two years ago it was no
longer under warranty and after maxing out on repairs I had to take it
to a state referee to get a certificate of non compliance, or whatever
it's called.  This time I really wanted it to pass because of some rules
changes starting this year that could result in major headaches and
expenses in future for cars that have to be refereed two years running.
For once I didn't mind putting oxygenated fuel in the tank 'cuz I
thought it just might help.  I also made it clear to the dealer where I
had it tested that I wanted the car to pass; within economic reason.

Much to my surprise it came pretty close on the first try, failing only
for hydrocarbons at the tail pipe.

The service department called to give me the "good" news.  A couple of
things were suspect, including a $1.85 thingie in the emission plumbing
that the dealer didn't have in stock.  The mechanic was of the opinion
that it wouldn't make any difference anyway.  The other problem was that
the car was running slightly cool so he suggested changing the
thermostat.  I was skeptical this would make enough of a difference but
was desperate enough to give it a try.  Damned if it didn't pass.  I was
one happy camper knowing I wouldn't have to be at the mercy of state
bureaucrats who automatically assumed you are a sleaze ball because you
have the misfortune of owning a car that doesn't pass smog.  Two more
years, yeah!

The point of all this is: check your LR's running temperature, it
might be too low.

Roland