Re: My MGB is in drydock

To: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My MGB is in drydock
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 11:49:45 -0800
In message <950101003311.202022dd@ualr.edu>  writes:

>  What started
> out as a simple re-ring and cam-up has turned into a full blown restoration.
> I have had this car since 1986.  The little car looked okay, but really
> needed major cosmetic attention.

I think I have lived your story so far.  I purchased my TR3 in '86 too.

> But, I'm in too deep now anyway.

Maybe, LBCs abhore a vacume.  If you take parts off they suck you in & before
you know it you have a full blown restoration project.

Sigh, Shipfitters disease takes a new victim.  My condolences

> -Keith 'I've always wanted a new MGB' Wheeler

Yah, & I've always wanted a new TR3.

Sooo here'some thoughts for people who got sucked into a complete restoration.
You NEED:

% Compressor - The bigger the better

% Tap & Die set - Do not reuse any stud, bolt or nut without cleaning the
threads before reassembling.

% 4 good jack stands.  Best if two of them are the kind that fit under wheels.
You can uses car Ramps for these.

%  Floor jack.

% Car cover - to cover the project when you are not actually working on it.  It
keeps the reassembly phase cleaner & keeps critters out

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

% Garage

% Heater

% Old blanket, or large cardboard sheet to lay on while under the car to keep
the cold away.

% Wherever possible use new bolts & nuts. Use anti-sieze & locktite as
appropriate.

MISC:

% Forget you have a life other than working on the car & working to pay for
parts.  You will no longer have time for living.

% Break the project down into small tasks & concentrate on those tasks, not
looking at the final goal.  The final goal can seem impossibly far away &
discurage you from bothering to finish the project.  But if your goal is say
refinishing the instrument panel, its doable in a reasonable amount of time.

Good Luck Kieth!!

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards