Body prep

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Body prep
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 10:06 EST
After searching high and low - I finally found my winter project.

It is a 1963 MGB shell, which has never been on the road or registered. The
owner bought the shell a couple of decades ago, to use as a spare in case he
ever wrecked his race car (also a 1963 MGB). i

It's in perfect condition, and only needs the passenger side footwell replacing.
I could not find a trace of rust anywhere, and most of the interior of the shell
is still in primer.

However - I shall be sending the shell to a bead-blaster to have it stripped
down to
bare-metal. The blaster I am dealing with has done several LBCs over the past
year or
two and I have seen the results, so I am confident that he will do a good job.

After the shell returns, it will be totally seam welded and a new passenger
footwell
welded in place. I intend to build the car up as a replica of the BMC rally cars
that they used in the sixties. The intent is to do a couple of vintage rallies,
somtime
in 1995 or 1996.

What I would like to know from anybody who has done bare-metal restoration, is
what are the steps I should take after the shell is bead blasted.

I will be painting the car in acrylic-laquer (rally cars get a lot of external
body
abuse, and acrylic-laquer is the easier to fix).

My thoughts were :

The interior, engine compartment and underside :
           1 coat etching primer
           2 coats red-oxide primer
           1 coat of POR 15
           2 coats of top paint (I have used Hammerite in the past and POR does
not
             come in a variety of colors)

The exterior
       looking for ideas !!!

I shall be getting a couple of books from Classic Motorbooks on the subject to
help me along.

thanks - gerry

PS - now all I have to do is find a '63 MGB parts cars and the project should
be completed !!!!