Think your parts bill is high?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Think your parts bill is high?
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 10:02:29 -0500 (EST)
While waiting for my personal gears to start meshing this morning, I
skimmed an article in the Burlington Free Press relating the key
conclusions of someone who presumes to write a car book recommending
various vehicles to the unwashed masses.  You will understand the nature
of this book if I say simply that crash resistance is considered the prime
criterion, along with repair costs, and that the Ford Escort was highly
recommended.  I suppose that the followers of his advice habitually run
into things and cheap repairs would be quite an issue.

But one item caught my eye--it costs over $900 to replace a starter on a
Ford Probe.  A remanufactured starter for my bugeye is about $55, and I
probably could replace it between the end of dinner and the beginning of
Roseanne (dirty secret; I watch Roseanne).  I may sell the 94 Accord
before it needs a starter and buy something sensible.

Ray Gibbons