Re: Think your parts bill is high?

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Think your parts bill is high?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 10:08:46 -0800
In message <Pine.3.05.9412151029.A23994-a100000@northpole.med.uvm.edu> "W. Ray
Gibbons" writes:

> While waiting for my personal gears to start meshing this morning, I
> skimmed an article in the Burlington Free Press relating the key
> conclusions of someone who presumes to write a car book recommending
> various vehicles to the unwashed masses.  You will understand the nature
> of this book if I say simply that crash resistance is considered the prime
> criterion, along with repair costs, and that the Ford Escort was highly
> recommended.  I suppose that the followers of his advice habitually run
> into things and cheap repairs would be quite an issue.
>
> But one item caught my eye--it costs over $900 to replace a starter on a
> Ford Probe.  A remanufactured starter for my bugeye is about $55, and I
> probably could replace it between the end of dinner and the beginning of
> Roseanne (dirty secret; I watch Roseanne).  I may sell the 94 Accord
> before it needs a starter and buy something sensible.
>
> Ray Gibbons

I borrowed a Pontiac Sunbird about six or seven years ago.  The starter motor
went out.  I thought I would replace it as a way to say thanks for the loan.  I
jacked up the front, put it on jackstands & crawled under...couldn't see the
starter motor on this side mounted front wheel drive 4 banger.  Grumbled.
lowered the car & poped the bonnet.  Couldn't see the starter motor.  I finally
deduced that I could indeed see a small corner of it under the intake & SMOG
stuff.  I droped the bonnet & called the owner.  Luckally he purchased an
extended warrenty & it was still in effect.  The car was towed to a dealer and
was ready 2 days later.  The cost would have included the motor plus over $300
labour.  Step #1, remove fuel injection manifold....

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards