TR6 block identity

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 block identity
From: paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk (paul gilders rs)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 11:40:31 GMT
As some of you may know, I am in the process of putting together
enough parts to convert my US spec TR6 to using a PI system. I am
doing this as a gradual process and have picked up nearly all the bits
I require from various autojumbles. Since I have come to realise that
the heads on the PI and carb models are different, and with the
additional fact that my carb engine is in itself quite tired, I have
been trying to put enough engine parts together to carry out a
completely separate engine build whilst retaining my carb engine for
pushing the car around during this period.

I have subesequently picked up a couple of cylinder heads from Triumph
2500 cars which I intend to use - I am also in the process of porting
one of these head to include the use of early PI valves. Also last week
I managed to pick up a TR6 engine block from a friend of a friend
(very cheap). This block needs a complete overhaul, but my main
concern is the type of engine block I have. As far as I am aware,
there were two main variants of the PI TR6 engine block - one having a
flat top block (generally CP numbering) and one with recessed cylinder
bores (generally CR numbering). I therefore appear to have a bit of an
anomoly in that I have a block with a flat top and a CR number. Does
anybody know if this is right or has someone come along and changed
the number and if so, why? I am therefore interested to know if there
are any other signs which might tell me which engine block I have. It
appears that this engine does have the early type of crank shaft,
since it is cross-drilled and has a longer connection to the flywheel
(which is missing).

So, my questions are:

1.      Does anybody know of any other identifying features to
distinguish these engine blocks.

2.      Does anyone have an early flywheel and front plate suitable
for this engine, since these parts are missing (it appears that this
engine was used in a Triumph 2.5PI and hence has a different front
plate).

Any other information that people might care to contribute to my
situation would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

        Paul.