It Lives and Breathes !!

To: "Scions of Lucas" <British-Cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: It Lives and Breathes !!
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 27 Oct 1994 10:48:22 U
                      It Lives and Breathes !!
  Whew, after over three months of semi-continuous
effort, the engine is back in my race car ('59 Austin-
Healey 100/6) and last nite it ran!  Just in time, as
the next race is THIS coming weekend.  As one of my
friends (who was that who said I didn't have any
friends?) said, "if it weren't for the last minute,
nothing would get done!"
  I'd been waiting for tappets for two weeks.  I'd
ordered them and expected them in last week.  When
they didn't arrive by Monday, I called the supplier.
I had made the mistake of ordering some other trivial
stuff at the same time, and they were holding up
shipment until some rinky-dink item arrived.  I told
them to forget that and SEND THE TAPPETS!!!!!  They
arrived last night and now all seems well.  Upon
initial start-up one valve was tapping a bit too loud,
so I used the old trick of putting a solid object
against the rocker arms, one at a time, while I held
the other end next to my ear.  I just used a large
combination wrench (I put the open end next to my ear,
didn't want to get my ear "boxed" eh?).  Sure enough,
#1 intake was set too loosely.
  Oil pressure looked good, I had cranked it a while
with the plugs out first.  Now I just need to check
the timing, adjust carbs, put the hood on and prepare
to have fun.  Actually, I'm always prepared to have
fun!
  This event is a vintage race to be held this weekend
at Texas World Speedway near College Station, and
could have over 100 cars.  The big Healeys have been
lumped into the over 2-litre class, which means we run
with the Mustangs and Corvettes.  It should be
interesting, staying out of their way.  It's actually
more fun though, displacements aside, to run with the
MGs, Porsches, Triumphs, Elvas etc.  Oh well, I think
there will be a Brit Car only race on Saturday which
will be a blast.  More news to follow.    --  Dave L.