RE: Tranny Lubrication

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tranny Lubrication
From: Dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 08:27:12 EDT
As I mentioned in my first C/GT post, it shifts very stiffly.  The C uses
essentially the same box as a B.  I therefore assume that it too uses
regular engine/motor oil.  I am wondering if a synthetic oil would aid in my
shifting.  It does have overdrive which I don't want to donate to the cause
of smoother shifting.  Thoughts?  Will the synthetics (Castrol Syntec or
Mobil 1) be too slippery for the overdrive?  If not, what weight?  I have
seen some very wide range synthetics (5W50), would this be preferable?  Do
the viscosity enhancers break down slower in synthetics than in petroleum
based oils?  As I do burn just a wee bit in the engine, I won't go synthetic
there, but the tranny is another story.  It doesn't appear to leak, so I
will not be dumping a lot of expensive oil.  I turn to the wisdom of the net....
Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581