Re: Another DS CRX Si for sale?

To: Steve Ulfelder <steve@viking.hq.ileaf.com>
Subject: Re: Another DS CRX Si for sale?
From: Jim Mullen <2504jm1%itsinet1@cobe.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 13:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, Steve Ulfelder wrote:
> Gee, I wish somebody had told me that D Stock is just a car-selection
> exercise. I was under the impression that I was getting whipped by faster
> drivers.
>
> If I buy a Neon Coupe next year, need I even bother to attend Nationals
> or will somebody just mail me my trophy?
>
> /Steve

Sure, and if they class a Yugo in DS and you choose to run it, your
superior driving skills will negate the advantages that a CRX or Neon has,
right? In your argument, any good driver can take an outclassed car and
win with it. This is the stuff of grade B movie plots, but certainly not
reality. SCCA classings have a lot to do with how a car generally winds
up in the rankings, but certainly, good drivers in good cars will beat
bad drivers in good cars.

Solo II is definitely more than a pure drivers competition; some cars are
more suited to a particular class than others. Some cars are better
prepared than others. This gives them a competitive advantage that has
nothing to do with driving skill. To say otherwise is naive.

--Jim