PUNCH/FLANGE AIR TOOL

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: PUNCH/FLANGE AIR TOOL
From: john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com
Date: Tuesday, 25 October 1994 15:00 PT
<Punch flange tool.>

I just saw the reference to the above tool and could not resist the
chance of throwing in my 50 cents worth. (Well perhaps 10 cents).
There are several places to purchase these tools and from my own
experiance I try to stay away from J.C. WHitney since about 10 yrs
they took my money for an item I ordered and they promptly went into
receivership! I ended up with 10 cents on the dollar for my $110.00.
An alternative source would be NORTHERN HYDRAULICS in EGAN MN.
alternativly you could try HARBOR FRIEGHT TOOLS in CA. I have seen
the tool listed in their catalog too.
I will check the above catalogs when I get home and repost address
and phone numbers for those who are interested.
I have used the tool extensivly and have found it to be invaluable
in my re-skinning of my 76MGB door.  The bottom was rusted out and
I ended up cutting half of the door width away. This extended up
each end for a couple of inches. That tool enabled be to fabricate
a patch that dropped into place and was "TACK" welded every 4 inches.
I used the punch to punch holes through the good door material, then
welded through each hole with the MIG to fill the hole back. I used
a mini die grinder to remove the excess weld. Seam sealer added to
the 1/2 inch flange that joined the two parts, finished it off.
I just remembered, I also patched a bonnet (sorry, HOOD!) similarly.
The PO of my 76B had installed a HOLLEY carb and cut a 6inch hole
through the hood to allow the hood to close.  Take care when using
the tool, it has a max working pressure of 90lbs if my memory serves
me right.  I had a habit of using the AIR WRENCH at 100LBS and it is
easy to forget. The punch head is oil filled and mine quit working,
until I discovered the lack of oil and refilled it. I am thinking
the excess air pressure caused the seals to leak the oil. Instructions
are very sketchy and there was no mention about oil inside! It has
worked flawlessly since my overhaul.  At $49 from Northern it was a
STEAL!

John.Bartholomew
            John Bartholomew  AMDAHL SAN JOSE CA.
         Opinions are my own, they can change too!
        78 MGB, restoring 76 MGB, 72 MGB daily transport.
408-944-3592 (07:00-16:00 PDT)  via internet   jdb70@amail.amdahl.com