Re: TD Oil

To: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TD Oil
From: Bob Hamilton <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 94 09:03:23 PDT
>I've often wondered why some BritCar makers specified motor oil for the
>gearbox rather than gear oil.  The two types of oil are formulated for
>very different types of protection, and theoretically motor oil doesn't
>have adequate resistance to high-pressure sliding contact for use in a
>gearbox.

Chip,

        I feel the same way about the use of motor oil in the gearbox but
that is what is recommended so that is what I've always used in the Sunbeams
and it hasn't caused any problems so far. BTW, the new '53 Alpine shifts
easier with the SAE 30 oil.

Regards,
Bob
Robert A. C. Hamilton, N.S.C.C., Institute of Technology, Halifax, N.S.
E-mail: Bob Hamilton <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: 10/25/94
Time: 09:03:23