Re: TD Oil

To: Bob Hamilton <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: TD Oil
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 01:37:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, Bob Hamilton wrote:

>       Actually this week I purchased SAE 30 Valvoline non-detergent motor
> oil for the gearbox on my newly purchased '53 Alpine, no problem. Everyone
> wants to put SAE 80-90 in them. Wrong!

I've often wondered why some BritCar makers specified motor oil for the
gearbox rather than gear oil.  The two types of oil are formulated for
very different types of protection, and theoretically motor oil doesn't
have adequate resistance to high-pressure sliding contact for use in a
gearbox.

>       I agree that a *detergent oil* should be used in the engine. BTW,
> what is the difference between a motor and an engine, or are they synonymous?

Well, if you want to pick nits, "motor" is used correctly only as in
electric motor, while "engine" refers to internal combustion or steam
engines.  OTOH, it does sound silly to say "enginecycle" instead of
"motorcycle"...

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu