TD dash restoration

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TD dash restoration
From: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 10:19:47 -0400 (EDT)
On the thread about TD engine lubrication: the best advice I've received is to
run straight 30, non-detergent/non-synthetic oil. It gives me about 70
psi cold at around 3,000 rpm, 50 psi when the motor is warm. I change
it twice a year, once with a filter. It might be my imagination, but it seems
my TD leaks/consumes less oil than most I've encountered. Could be attributed
to a professional engine build - or frequent oil changes. I've also noticed the
oil stays much cleaner after the S.U.'s were rebuilt again (the first rebuilder
did a poor job). I suspect the rich running carbs polluted/thinned the oil
before the second rebuild.

Question: Can anyone recommend a good chrome plating firm (for small bits) that
will accept mail-in work? I'm planning to pull the dash on the TD this winter
to recover the original vinyl. There's a chrome bead around the perimeter that
could use a replate. Also, any recommendation on vinyl adhesives for this task?
(the adhesive should be heat-proof since the TD dash receives sun exposure)

I'm a lurker/skimmer lately; my apologies. New baby on the way in six weeks.
I'll keep the list posted.

Oh, almost forgot...
An 70+ year old man approached me at a small local show (I was the only Brit
car there) and asked if I'm interested in his TR-3, locatedin Stephentown, N.Y.
He said it's in his barn, he's owned it for 20+ years. Not running, and in his
descrition it's in "fair" condition. He said he'd take a few hundred bucks for
it. I'll check it out, and get back to the list with questions. Are there any
TR-3 experts on the list (Rik, you're in Albany...wanna take a look at it with
me?)
                        Cheers.
                                                -Doug

* Doug Phillips (Douglas.W.Phillips@Williams.edu)/Williamstown, MA/ '52 MG TD *