Re: TD dash restoration

To: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Subject: Re: TD dash restoration
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 03:17:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Oct 1994, Doug Phillips wrote:

> Question: Can anyone recommend a good chrome plating firm (for small bits)
>that
> will accept mail-in work? I'm planning to pull the dash on the TD this winter
> to recover the original vinyl. There's a chrome bead around the perimeter
>that
> could use a replate.

It's very difficult to buff that chrome plate brass bead prior to plating
without turning it into a hopelessly tangled mess, so most plating firms
won't guarantee the job.  It will probably cost you less to buy a new one
from Moss Motors or Abingdon Spares.

> Also, any recommendation on vinyl adhesives for this task?  (the
> adhesive should be heat-proof since the TD dash receives sun exposure)

Spray-on automotive upholstery adhesive works well for cementing vinyl to
the plywood dash.  Several brands are available.  If you can't find it at
your local auto parts store, you can order it from Moss.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu