Re: Propane (Was: Morgan for sale)

To: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Subject: Re: Propane (Was: Morgan for sale)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 11:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 20 Oct 1994, Tim Dziechowski wrote:

> > FOR SALE:  1970 Morgan Plus 8
> > Rover V-8 gasoline powered (never propane) engine, Moss 4-speed gearbox
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I am curious about this.  Why would propane conversion be a Bad Thing for
> a Rover V8?

I doubt that the owner intended to imply that a conversion from gas to
propane would be bad.  Rather, I suspect the issue is whether there had
been a conversion from propane to gasoline, which might or might not have
been done properly.  If I am not mistaken, some Morgans were sold new with
propane conversions, to get around emissions requirements.  They would not
have come with the gasoline bits, or with info on how they should be set
up to run on gas.  If these cars are subsequently converted back to
gasoline, it is anyone's guess how the conversion is done.  So I think the
owner was just stressing that the engine is properly set up for gasoline.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910