Restoration techniques

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Restoration techniques
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 16:25:53 BST

Turned the first screw and dripped the first drops of blood on the garage
floor last night in the Jensen restoration. So far, it's nice to work on,
and I've just taken the rear bumper in for rechroming.

Do you have any experience in a couple of areas you could pass on?

1) The leather upholstery (tan) is in generally quite good condition, but
the accurse'd PO has coated it with some kind of paint to cover up the
scratches. The effect is quite good, and I didn't know it was there until I
tried hide food, and it came off on the rag! Hide food contains white
spirit, so I guess it's soluble in this. I would like to remove it from most
areas, but maybe leave it on the seat backs, where it looks good and would
be difficult to remove (frilly map pocket). What's the best way to remove
it? What do you think of coated upholstery vs the scratches and patina of
use?

2) Plastic lenses (rear lamps etc) are looking rather tired. Is it possible
to shine them up in some way to look smarter? New ones are expensive.

Cheers,

Paul.