Re: British Cars Digest #1397 Sun Oct 9 01:15:01 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, CraigR3454@aol.com
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1397 Sun Oct 9 01:15:01 MDT 1994
From: "Fuerstenberg, James" <jfuerstenberg@gc-link.dcmdc.dla.mil>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 15:07:11 dst

CraigR wrote:
Second is, what are Minis like? How similar would they be to my Bugeye?

The engine is the same.  But it sits on the gearbox and they use the same
oil.  If properly assembled they do not leak oil.  My mini racecar does not
leak unless there is a problem.

The article also mentions that the original Mins only had a 34 horse engine.
What does a more modern Mini have in it?

A good stock street 1275 in Cooper S trim unmodified puts out 75hp...but with
not much work and virtually no sacrifice in reliability 90 hp is quite
possible.

 What does a Mini in good running conditon (currently being driven on a
regular basis) cost if you were to purchase one?

To paraphrase Scott Fisher on MGBs...$5000 for a good running car.  Cooper S
will cost at least several thousand more.  But for a good 1275 car with S
brakes, $5000 will get you a nice one.
Jim

jfuerstenberg@zz-link.dcmdc.dla.mil(this address expires 10/28/94)

"assembly is the reverse of disassembly" is "Like buying house plans that say,
 Building your new home is the reverse of blowing it up with dynamite."

           -- Peter Egan, January 1994 Road&Track --