Re: What does SOL mean?

To: etlstrl@etlxdmx.ericsson.se, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: What does SOL mean?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 09:32:11 -0700
In message <9410060748.AA19813@etlxd23zg> Stewart Rendall writes:
> OK, I'm a Brit whose been reading this list for a couple of months now
> and I still can't work out what SOL means.
>
> Somebody please put me out of my misery! [sound of hair being torn out]
>
> Stewart Rendall
> Southampton, UK

Stewart,
SOL stands for Scions of Lucas and is the official name for the group.  Back in
the days of olde when we were thinking up a name for this new mail group,
someone came up with Sons of Lucas or SOL for short.  In the US, SOL is often
used as a polite "Shit Out of Luck"  many people thought the acronem fit a lot
of old British car owner situations and wanted the initials. Female members of
the group, objected to the name implying that all "real" members are men.  So
some brilliant person averted a battle of the sexes with the term scion.
Bloodshed was narrowly averted, peace came to the land and we all returned our
collective efforts to keeping oil in the engines for a reasonable amount of time
and lived happily ever after.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561