Re: What does SOL mean?

To: etlstrl@etlxdmx.ericsson.se (Stewart Rendall)
Subject: Re: What does SOL mean?
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 09:36:10 -0500 (CDT)
> OK, I'm a Brit whose been reading this list for a couple of months now
> I still can't work out what SOL means.
> Stewart Rendall

Scions Of Lucas.  Was originally Sons Of Lucas, until we realized that we
were slighting the women of our group.  Since scion means child,
regardless of sex, it is the perfect word, as we wanted to preserve the
acronym SOL.

The phrase "S. O. L." has been used in the USA for years, as in "Looks
like you are S. O. L., pal."  It means "S*** out of luck", the first word
of which makes no sense at all in this context.  Yanks just seem to need it
for emphasis.

"Strictly out of luck" at least would have meaning.  Anyway, I assume the
Yanks who coined the phrase Sons Of Lucas were not unaware, and had their
tongues firmly planted in their cheeks.

Of course, when someone in the USA military complains about "S. O. S." for
dinner again, the first S has some meaning.

phil.ethier@stpaul.gov