Re: DP40.

To: Jerome Kaidor <jerry@tr2.com>
Subject: Re: DP40.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 11:20:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Jerome Kaidor wrote:

> W. Ray Gibbons wrote:
>
> > On outer surfaces of the body shell, I applied DP40, then any bondo
> > immediately over the DP40 within 7 days.
>
> **** This is something I've suspected one could do, but never tried.
> Bondo instructions always say ``Over bare metal'', but I always thought

>                                   - Jerry Kaidor

PPG recommend DP40 as a substrate for polyester fillers (bondo).  It's
been over 2 years now, and no problems.  For the record, bondo will not
stick to Vari-Prime, so don't try that.  It peels right off.  I do not
want to worry anyone who has used Vari-Prime, however.  I have no reason
to doubt that it is a fine product when used per directions.  I sure as
heck wouldn't strip a Healey chassis to get rid of it.  Dupont never said
you should put bondo on Vari-Prime; I just got carried away.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910