Re: Ashville Thoughts

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Ashville Thoughts
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 15:20:56 -31702 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 Aug 1994, Bob Lang wrote:

> While I was at the VTR in Ashville, NC, I participated in several events.
>While
> the events themselves were not meant to be dangerous, there were some
> participants that perhaps pushed the limits of sensible driving. For instance,
> in the blindfold rallye, several of the drivers nearly caused accidents by not
> following the navigator instructions. The most blatent (IMHO) insensible
> driving was a fellow in a TR8 that kept lighting up his tires _in the parking
> lot of the hotel_! As a spectator, I truely believed that both the above

> Bob Lang              Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
> Consultant            MIT Computer Services  |
> Voice: (617)253-7438  FAX: (617)258-9535     |

Bob,
        While I didn't attend the VTR this year, I have attended in years
past, as well as many other club-sponsored motoring events.  I think most
safety concerns can be well addressed by proper course layout, as well as
a 'drivers' meeting prior to the event concerning appropriate behavior
and stressing that the workers are volunteers.  Things like << one car on
course at a time >> and << reduced speed sections thru tight areas >> cannot
always be realized for autocross courses, but shouldn't be as difficult
to ensure in Funkhana courses.
        I have found British car club members, and Triumph club members
in particular, to be very sensible when it comes to moving events,
but there are sometimes a few owners who have more confidence than
skill.  However, it would be unfortunate for an organizer to require that
no one squeal their tyres or slide their cars in events like Funkhanas
and Autocrosses for fear of being dismissed from the weekend's activities.
Heaven knows that my car was slidin' and squealin' when I took first in the
Funkhana at VTR in 1990 and 1993.  But certainly that shouldn't involve
fear on the part of bystanders, and the organizer should ensure that this
remains so.
        To happy, fun and safe car club meets...

                Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu

PS, was the TR8 that was roasting her tyres in the parking lot racing on
the Funkhana course at the time?
    Also, be thankful you're not in the Mustang or Camaro club; TR-3's and
TR-6's don't smoke tyres like they do.  That's not to say they don't
smoke though.   :-)