TR6 Clutch problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars)
Subject: TR6 Clutch problems
From: Michael Bayrock <mbrock@gov.nt.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 94 14:00:55 MDT
Greetings all,

I have been helping a friend with his TR6 over the past few days.  Last
week I diagnosed a dead clutch master cylinder - the engine bay around
the cylinder was surrounded with 'krinkled' paint, the footwell inside
was damp with fluid, and the clutch, she don't work.

A new master cylinder was ordered, and (just for the hell of it),
a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder was ordered too.

We installed the mc (boy, the top bolt is a b**** to get in!), and
rebuilt the sc.  In the process of bleeding the system, the piston in
the sc comes right out of the end.

Immediate thoughts were that "silly us, we put the seal in backwards".
We took it apart, and, no, it's in correctly.  Next thoughts were that the
rebuild kit was the wrong one, so we re-re-built the sc with the old
parts.  Still, the same problem. (the old seal WAS larger in circumference
but I put that down to swelling and old rubber)

Next, I thought that the mc is the wrong size - if the bore is larger in
the new mc, then teh new mc is pushing more fluid, and the sc can't handle
the extra output.  We took both old and new mc-s apart, and sure enough,
the bores are different.  BUT, the new mc is SMALLER!!! (and the stroke
appears to be the same).

I don't know what else to do now.  We are trying to call the parts supplier
for more info, but it is a sunny Saturday.

Also, the old sc had the dust seal safety wired onto the cylinder.  Is this
necessary?  Also, there is no circlip keeping the sc piston from coming
out, unlike the mc.  Is this also correct?  Also, with the new seals in the
sc, the piston has a tough time sliding up and down the bore - no such probs
with the old seal.  Also, what brings the sc piston back to the 'unloaded'
position? I don't see any springs there to bring it back.

For those with a like for numbers, here are some details ...

Old Master Cylinder
   cast into the body are the numbers/letters

         CCI
      GIRLING 3/4

New Master Cylinder
   cast into the body

         BS9
      GIRLING70
      64676310

   on the box it came in

       AP Lockheed
       64066117P
       Master Cyl
       Qty 1  03J

Slave cylinder
  cast into the body, what appears to be

       993645  (badly eroded, and difficult to read)

Slave Cylinder Rebuild Kit

       Lucas
       LK10629
       FA3   01-93