French attitudes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: French attitudes
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 94 16:33:02 PDT
This was passed on to me by a friend, and has no lbc content, but I felt
it would be of interested to those of us who favor cars from north of
the Channel.

>   In case you were wondering why Peugeot went belly up in the US
>when they were building world class machinery in Europe, this might
>shed some light on the subject. It's from an article by Ken Gross,
>Automotive Industries.
>
>   Years ago at the Peugeot MI16 press preview, I spoke with a French
>engineer about the defanged US version of what had been touted as
>Peugeot's Accord fighter.
>  "In France", I reminded him, "this car had 175 hp, stiff
>suspension, great sport seats, subtle appointments. Here, it's down
>to 160 hp, the suspension is softer and you've added some useless
>bright trim...why?"
>   "Nous ne donnons pas la confiture au cochons," was his reply.
>Translated, that means: "We don't give fine preserves to the pigs."

| Ed Rush, not speaking for Metaphor, Mtn. View, CA            |
| Internet: rush@mnementh.metaphor.com   AOL: Ed_Rush@aol.com* |
| Epicenter: 117/17/11-12      TR3A: TS 66235 L                |
| "Aw, stamp my hand, I want to ride everything!"              |
        *not checked anywhen close to daily