Re: Duck/Duct Tape

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Duck/Duct Tape
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 17:50:32 PDT
> From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
> It is called Duck (notice correct spelling) Tape because of the
> weave of the fabric that the sticky stuff is (was?) applied to.
> That fabric is called Duck 'cuz ... it sheds water like a duck.

That sounds as likely as anything, except that my dictionary says that
the name of "duck" cotton cloth was from the Dutch word "doek" meaning
"cloth."

There is, by the way, at least one manufacturer here selling "Duck Tape".
There are many makers of the grey-colored stuff, some excellent and some
awful.  Most of the good stuff is labeled "duct tape".

Would someone in Minnesota like to call up 3M and ask THEM to settle
the question?

| Ed Rush, not speaking for Metaphor, Mtn. View, CA           |
| Internet: rush@mnementh.metaphor.com   AOL: Ed_Rush@aol.com |
| Epicenter: 117/17/11-12      TR3A: TS 66235 L               |
| "Aw, stamp my hand, I want to ride everything!"             |