SU Fuel pump sticking

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Fuel pump sticking
From: Graham@irving.demon.co.uk (Graham Glen)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 1994 23:58:02 GMT
Christopher Ball writes:

> I know that SU fuel pumps like to be banged with a hammer to get started
> now and then. Fine. But...
>
> My Healey has a brand new SU pump. If I leave it for a week without
> driving it I have to bang it a good one to get it going EVERY time. Looks
> great in the parking lot  and crawling under a Healey is hard for
> SNAKES to do!
>
> I have cleaned and gapped the beast to no avial. Any suggestions?

Well, I hope you'll forgive me if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs
here, but could it be what the BL manual for an SU L type pump refers to
as the "throw over mechanism". This appears to be the part that opens and
closes the points, and looking at the manual it appears that if this is
mis-adjusted then it could take some external "force" to move the
mechanism sufficiently to get the points open or closed. The other thing
which could potentially cause problems is the diaphragm not being
correctly stretched.

I've got the procedure in the manual for setting both of these, but as
it's a little long I'll only type it up if you request it.

As a side issue, are any UK readers planning on going to Prescott for the
VSCC meeting this weekend?

Graham
--
Graham Glen     graham@irving.demon.co.uk       +44 81 871 0228

".. and it always was possible to measure the distance between so-called
management and the so-called creative by the time it took for a memo to go
in one direction and a half-brick to come back in the other."
        Dennis Potter