LBC Mirror Placement

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: LBC Mirror Placement
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 13:23:48 PST
Phil Ethier says:
Put the mirrors where you can see them, and see something with them.
The thing to realize about older British cars in America is that they came
here without side mirrors and dealers put them on.  So there is really no
original standard for construction or placement.

Phil is right.  The reason so many mirrors are mounted forward on front
wings is the placement of the splash panels behind the front tyres.  Dealers
were lazy.  To mount a mirror farther back on the wing, the splash panels
would have to be removed - an unnecessarily time-consuming task.
Mounting them on the doors would require removing the door panels.

I agree with Phil: put the mirrors where you can see the most behind you
(and where you think they look OK).  My MGA mirrors are on the doors,
positioned to clear the windwings and so I can still see them with the side
curtains in place.

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, OD
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, OD